The Great Gatsby is very easy to relate to because of the ample opportunities Fitzgerald gives his audience to make text connections. Daisy can be related to a more modern image of herself such as Paris Hilton. Hilton is a famous actress, and her rise to fame can be accredited to her inherited wealth, rather than to her talent. Like Daisy, money and her image are probably the most important things to Hilton. In the novel, Daisy’s voice is described as being “full of money” (120). Daisy’s “inexhaustible charm” is her wealth, as is Paris Hilton’s. For both of them, beauty will fade over time, but they will always have their money. Fitzgerald wrote the book during a time when money meant more than almost anything else, and Paris Hilton has showed that some of these values still remain today. There seems to be a timeless quality of shallowness that accompanies fame and fortune, a quality that will probably continue for many years to come.
I like how you connected Daisy with a rich and well known celebrity because almost everyone can recognize someone in that type of industry. It is also apparent that Fitzgerald was highlighting the belief that no matter what century it is, societies will revolve around money, and there will be distinct class differences everywhere. The reader will most likely know someone who is obsessed with wealth, as you said Paris Hilton, and I also belive that Fitzgerald wants the reader to see that every society will deal with these materialistic issues that he made apparent through Daisy.
ReplyDeleteWhile I whole-heartedly agree with the connection of Paris Hilton to Daisy and her life completed with luxury. I wish you could have made a stronger connection to someone you were more sure of being connected to Daisy. You used the word "probably" while describing the most important things to Paris Hilton. I wish you gave a more definite answer to seem more believable to your true connection of the women. As Paris Hilton may seem infected by her wealth and power, I had the special privilege to actually speak with Paris on the phone through my cousin who happened to being creating her "perfect" cup of coffee. My cousin, Warren is given the ultimate title of being her favorite man to make her coffee. One day, he called me and allowed me to talk to her for a short amount of time as she waited for her beverage. Surprisingly, she was extremely courteous especially in the situation she was put in. While this does not depict her whole social life, I have learned not to always "read a book by its cover."
ReplyDelete